Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My Questions

It is somewhat pretentious to think that I can anticipate what I might learn while on this trip. However, I do have some questions that I would love to have answered. In my time working with refugee students I have been amazed by the resiliency that they show in navigating the myriad barriers that stand between them and the good life. I'm equally amazed by the fact that they seem to have a much more concrete sense of what the good life looks like. Many of my students have shown a belief in and understanding of what life should be about that I have never had.

In two weeks I don't expect to gain any such insight and I know that every person is different and that I just engaged in some pretty sweeping generalizations. Still, I have to wonder if I will see or experience some of the keys to the confidence and resilience that my students have shown me.

At the least I'm on the lookout for a couple of things.
What things, customs, people exist in Uganda that have no corollary here? What things do people in Uganda take for granted that I have never seen before. I figure if I can record my surprise I may at least be able to generate a list of things that people here in Canada should know that newcomers are looking for when they arrive here.

Apart from that, I hear that Nile Special beer is amazing. And, it goes without saying, I will always have my eyes peeled for the menacing monkeys that are no doubt laying in wait for my pale, tasty hide....

Flight leaves in 12 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment